Hello everybody out there using minix -
I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready.
Today Linux runs on servers, desktops, laptops, netbooks, smartphones, TVsets, NAS and maybe a lot more
5 years ago :
What would the world look like today, had Linux never been written? Would we be using the GNU Hurd – the kernel that Stallman intended to use originally for his GNU operating system, but which was delayed so much that people used Linux instead? Or would one of the BSD derivatives have taken off instead?
Or perhaps there would simply be no serious free alternative to Microsoft Windows, no open source movement, and we would be living in a world where computing was even more under the thumb of Bill Gates. In this alternative reality, there would be no Google either, since it depends on the availability of very low-cost GNU/Linux boxes for the huge server farms that power all its services.
It’s amazing how a single post can change the world.
Meest recente berichten
- ABJfotografia op Overgang naar het nieuwe Linux Mint NL forum: Donderdag 16 Mei 2013!
- bas op Verhuizing Linux Mint NL naar nieuwe webhost
- JanB op Verhuizing Linux Mint NL naar nieuwe webhost
- abjfotografie op Linux Mint Debian Editie 201303 RC Vrijgegeven
- abjfotografie op Vacature admin / moderator ingevuld